Thursday, January 8, 2009

Update from Reggie's V-E-T visit....

So, after not hearing from the V-E-T still at around 1:00pm, I decided to call over there. They told me they had only taken one x-ray so far (needed 3 total) because Reggie was difficult, and they were taking their time with him, which involved playing with him, rubbing his chin, and generally just calming him down (I love Banfield the Pet Hospital!). This was good since I didn't want them to have to anesthetize him if they didn't have to. So, I was told to call back in a few hours to check on his progress.

They called me around 4:00pm and said he was ready to go. They were successful in getting all three x-rays, and good ones at that, but my vet saw some minor abnormalities on the x-ray and wanted to send them out to an expert radiographer. I said of course, along with another $100 (total vet bill was $420 and that was with my discount for the wellness plan!)

This worried me nonetheless, but those that know me know that I am a BIG worry wart about everything.....so I tried not to think the worse....

It was now time for me to leave work and I headed out to go pick up lil' Reggie. The vet was awesome when I got there and took me in the back of the hospital and showed me the x-rays and explained everything to me. His heart, aorta, veins, etc. all are normal and look the right size. His trachea is also perfect and clear. The only "abnormalities" she saw were these little itty bitty white dots that she called "Donuts" around his lungs in a few places. I forget what she said they were (collection of cells?), but basically they can be linked to bronchitis or asthma...she wants to get the expert's opinion to see if they are serious or not. We will have the results in about a week.

My awesome vet then explained to me what the next possible steps could be, depending on what the radiographer says. We could try steroids for the asthma, or possibly a tracheal wash with cytology and culture (more invasive).

Here's to hoping the radiologist doesn't think the x-rays are serious! Honestly, he's only had 3 minor coughing episodes in the last 2 weeks, that I've heard anyways, and in general we think he's improved. He is as peppery and hyper and loving as ever!

It was so cute when we got home - Reggie was in his carrier and I was opening the front door and Marley was on the other side howling and meowing and then Reggie started meowing too - guess they really missed each other yesterday....

Oh, and yes, Reggie got lots of "stinky goodness" last night, as did Marley!

More Information:

This site's page
talks about some of the items my vet explained to me yesterday, in particular the "donuts" and the tracheal wash. Just by "googling" feline asthma one can find lots more information. Please keep Reggie in your thoughts; if his asthma, or whatever it is, does not get any worse, I think that's the best outcome for now.

4 comments:

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Good luck in getting stuff taken care of. Purrs for Reggie.

Daisy said...

It's great that you have such a good vet who explains things and takes time with you. I hope the final diagnosis is something minor and easy to treat!

Motor Home Cats said...

It was great that the vet took the time to play with Reggie and calm him down. Do you think it would help in the future if you took both cats so that one can keep the other company? My mom always did that with my brother and I because my brother didn't like the v-e-t. We hope whatever the diagnosis, it is minor.

Tavi, Cody, Camie and Miss Jade

Kaz's Cats said...

Sounds like you have a great v-e-t - it was great that they were prepared to play with him instead of putting him under. We'll purr for the little guy, especially that it turns out he can be treated easily,

Purrs

Gypsy & Tasha